Monday 12 March 2018

Part 27a Chile's Carretera Austral, a Solo Ride, mid Feb 18


The Carretera Austral (southern highway) is a 1200 km road joining tiny, isolated communities in Chilean Patagonia. Small parts have been paved in recent years but it remains a wild and unpredictable ride through remote lands and mixed ecosystems possessing unparalleled beauty. The adventure of riding its length was both high and next on our South American to do list.

Isabelle came to the obvious conclusion, because of her fractured ankle and our deadline in Santiago, that Carretera Austral was now off her list. Riding a motorcycle on paved roads would easily be possible for her after four weeks of recovery. Riding Carretera Austral that soon after an injury was too much of a risk. She insisted that I make the two weeks long 3,000 km loop back to Gobernador Gregores without her.

I left early that Sunday promising to set my risk tolerance at the lowest possible level throughout the excursion. Wind and pavement conditions changed constantly that first day riding north on Argentina’s famed Ruta 40. Keeping my promise, I adjusted speed to conservative levels for each set of riding conditions. Correcting for cross winds and dodging car sized potholes is much easier at low speeds. A potholed section is marked with a sign, “Zona de Baches”. These sections generally last only a few kilometers.

Patagonian Steppe

The countryside was Patagonian steppe. The terrain was flat dried mud, clay and gravel. On it grew sparse grasses and shrubs. There were no signs of agriculture but there were lots of guanaco. These deer sized creatures that look a little like llamas are protected. Seldom does a gaze across the Patagonian plain not include sighting a group of these wild animals. They rely not so much on stealth as they do on vigilance and speed to thwart the predatory puma on the open plains.

John Wayne Movie Filming Location

Rest Stop photo of a Passer-by

All day, mountain peaks loomed on the left horizon. I came to a small pueblito, Bajo Caricoles and gassed up. This place, the only one for hundreds of kilometers, had a monopoly on gas, coffee and lodging with prices to match. My engine knocked and pinged on the bad gas I bought there all the way to the first night’s stop, where the pavement ended in Chile Chico. I camped in an overcrowded little place among hoards of backpackers.  

The ride east from Chile Chico was slow, technical and a lot of fun. Steep and twisty sections revealed fantastic vistas. I was in the Andean foothills. Wonderful scenery began with the first kilometer and continued all day. Hugging the south side of Lago Buenos Aires, it took six hours of riding, excluding stops, to reach Rio Tranquilo, 165 Km away. Wind was sometimes a factor to accommodate but it was nothing like that over the plains in Argentina.

First Look at Lago Buenos Aires 

Rest Stop 

View from the Foothills 

Suspended Glacial Lake 

Lago Buenos Aires

Foothills Pastoral Scene 

Twists and Turns 

Tree Shaped by the Wind 



Rising early the next day I went down to the waterfront of the glacial lake to catch a boat to the famous, “Cuevas de Marmol”. The main attraction, the “Cathedral” is in an area of wave caves cut into multi-coloured rock formations. The caves were made in a lake filled with glacial waters ranging in colour from powder blue to deep blue. Water colour is influenced by the angle of the sunlight. At home, I had read that the best light for viewing the caves was at 10 am. The colour combinations of rock, water and sky were said to be impressive.

Coloured Veins in the Rock 

Wave Erosion 

How long do you think... 

Before the house falls down?

The first boat of the day brought us early bird keeners about 20 Km along the shore through the cool Patagonian air. There we idled along a few kilometers of shoreline that were pock-marked by the graceful wave caves. In addition to possessing multi-coloured striations, the shapes were curved and angular at once.

Interesting Shapes 

Our Boat Drove Through 

Interesting Colours 

Kayaks Give Scale 


The "Cathdral of Marmol"

Subsequent riding days revealed different ecosystems. Dry foothills and strong winds gave way to temperate rain forest. The humidity and lushness felt fresh and new. Weather conditions varied greatly.  Three days of riding in the rain and the mud only added to the adventure. I slept in out of the way places like Coyhaique and Puyuhuapi. Rest stops were sometimes in tiny hamlets with names like Bahia Murta, Villa Cerro Castillo and Las Turbinas. Mostly, lunch or snacks were at an overlook somewhere off the road.

People Often Cut Blind Corners 

Roadside Snapshot 

 Alpine Glaciers in Midsummer

Fertile Valley

Valley Overlook

Road conditions varied greatly. Sometimes the road was technical and slow but some short sections were paved. There was a long section of modern road that was ready for paving. The corners had been straightened and the hills flattened by blasting. The ripio was thick with loose, rounded rocks. It was another road of marbles. The bike was relatively stable at a speed of 50kph. Good tires and a willingness to tolerate the front-end sloshing around as it searched for traction got me to the end of the construction zone. I stopped for a drink and a photo.

Ready to Pave

Two motos with street tires approached on the good ripio. The eyes of both riders were huge and wide with fear as their motorcycles bounced over the road. I felt sorry for them. They had no idea that 10 Km of deep marbles lay ahead.

Multi-coloured Cliff 

Pastoral Overlook 

Comfie Campsite 

Many Waterfalls 

Stream  

A Long Way to Anywhere

Puyuhuapi has salt water access in the complex coastal islands of southern Chile. In Puyuhuapi I learned details of the road closures to the north. Landslides the previous year had caused the government to close a long section of road to the north. Repairs were being made but there was still much to accomplish.

Closed Road, Make-shift Ferry Ramp to the Left

It was possible to continue north but only by following long and difficult detours. These detours involved rough tracks and multi-hour ferries. Rumour had it that four-wheel drive vehicles were having difficulty getting to the harbour village of Balmaceda to take the first long ferry ride. Most overlanders gave up and turned around at Puyuhuapi. Despite this, the ferries were booked for days and weeks into the future. I would learn that people commonly abandon their plans for paid up but inexpensive ferry rides.

Glacier View from Rain Forest 

Switchback

Temperate Rain Forest


Lakes Everywhere

I joined a group of six other riders, all on small bikes, and rode north out of Puyuhuapi in the pouring rain. The ripio was reasonably good despite the rain and those little motos really moved. I managed to keep up with them all the way to La Junta. There was even a small paved section as we approached town. The group turned left onto a two-track (two tire tracks) forest road that wasn’t on my map. Seventy-four kilometers of soaked ripio passed quickly before we arrived in tiny Balmaceda, where the ferry dock is.

A Break in the Rain

The isolated hamlet of Balmaceda operates at its own pace, one separate from the rest of the world. There was electricity from the town’s diesel generator available sometimes and occasionally there was internet too. One needed to book ferry trips on-line and through an agent. The ferry ticket booking office, a desk inside the tiny general store, was sporadically staffed but connecting with the agent was a hit and miss affair. The agent often left a note in the window or on the desk indicating when she planned to return.  Despite being forewarned, few of my numerous visits to the ticket desk coincided with the ticket agent’s return, presumably from other duties.

Main Street in Sleepy Balmaceda

The Rooming House in Balmaceda

Perseverance eventually led to the agent booking everything for me, all the way to Puerto Montt. It took two days for the needed elements to coincide: electric power, internet access and a present booking agent. I waited in line for almost an hour. There was one person ahead of me. My turn came and 45 minutes later I had my tickets. I had forked over the mighty sum of $7 CDN for a total of thirteen hours on four ferries for the moto and me.

Approaching Ferry

The ferry began that evening and arrived in Chaiten at 5am. I spent the night rocking and rolling on a bench in the ship's cafeteria. I slept remarkably well considering the situation while most people dozed in their cars. That morning, I found a park bench in town and made breakfast, sharing it with a Chilean bicyclist who had also taken the ferry. We were both waiting for the sun to rise at 7:00 before beginning the 45 Km ripio section to the next ferry. My tickets were for the 10:30 ferry, his for the evening one. We had a great chat in English. Among other things, he warned about the poor quality of the upcoming ripio and of the pickpockets in Santiago. He was wrong about the ripio but right about the pickpockets, I would learn.




The next section of ripio was easy, just a normal country road. Three more ferries and more ripio followed. After the town of Hualaihue I aired up my tires for paved road. I forgot to tie the bag with the air pump onto my pannier. I discovered the bag was missing an hour later and returned to look for it, without success. Our tent poles and pegs were lost along with the pump. That night, I took an overpriced hotel room in a shabby section of Puerto Montt and missed the independence of camping.

The Last of the Ripio

A two-hour ride the next day to the much nicer city of Osorno allowed me to stock up at a supermarket. An upscale mall had three hiking and trekking stores. I bought a new tent then rode to the MotoAventura shop. I planned to ask them to mount my new front tire but they were closed. I took a room in a house nearby and returned the next day for the tire mounting.

Volcan Osorno

At noon the next day I was on the highway to Argentina. It was the last day of the end of summer long weekend. The scenery was strikingly beautiful but the road was packed with traffic. The border crossing took 4 hours and then I was in Argentina. I don’t know why but it felt like home. Chileans sometimes speak English but Argentinians are easier going. I sat at a pretty mirador beside a lake munching sandwiches. Friendly, open Argentinians approached immediately and we started chatting. Then another small group and finally a family approached. They were all interested in my travel story and wanted to take photos. Yup, I was back in Argentina.

Scenes from Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi, Argentina:




Three more days of riding back across the Patagonian steppe brought me to Gobernador Gregores. Being pushed by a strong, three-day tail wind was fun. I rode silently at 110kph and used very little fuel.  Riding two hundred kilometers on wild Carrretera Austral would have been a huge day but I covered more than 800 Km on the final day’s ride across the steppe. It had been a solo trip lasting almost two weeks that spanned over 3,000 Km.  For me, it was a highlight of our South American journey. I arrived at the Hosteria anxious to share my adventures in Chile’s deep south with Isabelle in the tiny place where she waited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 43 - Situation: Stuck in Spain, Dilemma: Deadline in Dublin

Situation: Stuck in Spain, Dilemma: Deadline in Dublin All sailings for the week to Ireland, where I planned to store my motorcycle, w...