Monday 28 October 2019

Europe Blog – Part 41, High Atlas, Marrakech, Sahara Desert, Anti-Atlas Mountains

Europe Blog – Part 41, High Atlas, Marrakech, Sahara Desert, Anti-Atlas Mountains

I followed the coast southward to Agadir before turning inland to Taroudant. Further east of Taroudant, I turned north, off the main highway onto a less used secondary road, the scenic “Tizi-n-Test”. It felt good to be back within mountain landscapes. The road became narrower and rougher nearing the highest pass. I rode the final 25 kilometers on a broken up single lane road before reaching Camping & Auberge du Col (mountain pass). The camping was rudimentary and overly expensive but the views were fantastic. It was a cold night in the tent at 2200 meters.

High Atlas Foothills


Approaching the High Atlas Mountain Range

Tizi-n-Test

Waterfall in Arid High Atlas

The Auberge served a nice breakfast and strong tropical sun warmed things up quickly. It was 16 degrees when I left, riding downhill toward Marrakech.  I passed Berber villages that were scattered throughout the highlands. Their adobe structures were often perched high up on rocky points. Dirt paths allowed people and animals to move throughout the villages. The paths were often much too steep for a car to navigate. No motorized vehicles were visible inside the villages as many Berber people still lived in the old ways.

Sunset at the Col

Sunrise at the Col

The High Atlas



Hillside Berber Village

Descent to Marrakech

The Road to Marrakech

Satellite dishes became visible on Berber rooftops as I neared the foothills and their lower altitudes. Wider and flatter tracks allowed cars and delivery trucks to pass within the villages. I rode on to Marrakech with its modern feel. It had shopping malls and wide, European boulevards. I did not pass through the historic centre on the way to Relais Marrakech and would have to wait until the next day to see it.

In the Marrakech Medina

Complained When Tipped

Camping Relais Marrakech was modern and very clean. Its restaurant was beside a beautifully landscaped pool area. It felt like an oasis. I vowed to bring Isabelle to that lovely spot. I stayed three nights, accomplishing a few tasks. One day was spent beside the pool preparing and publishing a blog post as well as washing laundry.

Mosque inside Marrakech Medina

Medina Market

Visiting the historic centre, Marrakech’s medina, was an intense day. There was action everywhere involving people, animals and small vehicles. Everyone kept far to the right in the narrow pathways between adobe buildings. Scooters and three-wheeled tuk-tuks zoomed and dodged around thick packs of pedestrians, adding to the frenzy of movement. Touts approached and pestered anyone who didn’t immediately fit in. They seemed impossible to shake off.

One quickly learned to ask the price of each item, even a cup of coffee, before accepting it. Purchases were followed by “upsell” offers that sounded free but never were. A tip was tailed by complaints of its insufficiency. Faux Guides asked, “My friend, where are you from? Keep to the right for the scooters! It’s this way to the Berber festival. Follow me.” If you fell for it you would be eventually faced with an extended palm. Giving a tip would then be followed by the customary complaint. It was all riotous fun!

Film Studio at Ouarzazate

The scenic road to Ouarzazate crossed over the High Atlas Mountains. The surface of the road was excellent. Riding its tight switchbacks was as much fun as riding those in the Pyrenees had been. Berber villages were dug into hillsides in the highlands. Eventually the highway crossed over flat desert lands that led to the outer edges of Ouarzazate. There were several studios and filming locations in the desert town. Camping Municipal Ouarzazate offered good value and very clean ablutions. The place was half filled by European snowbirds in campervans. Berber singers and dancers put on a fun show in the camp restaurant that night.

Taourirt Kasbah Courtyard

Image Inside the Kasbah

Inside the Kasbah


View from the Kasbah

In the morning I went sightseeing, beginning with the Taourirt Kasbah (palace) in the centre of town. The Kasbah had been owned and lived in until recently by a wealthy Ouarzazte family. The adobe palace was electrified and had rudimentary plumbing. The visit was free but a man wearing a reflective vest and sitting on a chair in the parking area came over and extended his palm as I prepared to leave. He was good at looking official, his body language seemed to say, “Surely you saw me here when you parked? I watched your bike for you.” I tipped him; his customary complaint followed.

On the Way to Ait Benhaddou Kasbah

Desert North of Ouarzazate

The next item on my list was located 30 kilometers north of town, Ait Benhaddou Kasbah. This ancient desert “service station” village was instantly recognizable. I discovered that it had been used as a set in numerous films over many decades. It’s more famous location credits included, Game of Thrones, Sodom and Gomorrah, Jewel of the Nile, Last Temptation of Christ and Gladiator. On the approach, I followed two tour vans when they turned onto a dirt track, off the road to the Kasbah. I was rewarded with a great view. The vans stopped to let passengers disembark at an overlook of the valley that contained Ait Benhaddou Kasbah, the famous caravan stop on the way to Marrakech. Tour operators always know the good spots.

View from Where the Tour Vans Stopped

Entrance to the Caravan Rest Stop

Inside Ait Benhaddou Kasbah

Street Scene in the Jewish Quarter

Ait Benhaddou Kasbah was declared a World Heritage Site in 1987 and featured traditional Moroccan earthen clay architecture. Climbing up and throughout the village-on-a-hill was fun and offered some good views too. I was pestered by touts from the moment I parked my bike in the modern village beside the World Heritage Site. Attempts at legal controls of the practice; hard working local people despised targeted begging as much as tourists did, had met limited success. A reflective vest wearing gentleman got up from his chair and flagged me down as I was riding out of the parking area. I asked several times in French but he refused to be specific about the price for parking. He simply extended his palm and said in English, “parking, money.” He too complained, looking for more after I tipped him.

Tifoultoute Kasbah Ruins

The next stop was a few kilometers west of Ouarzazate, the Tifoultoute Kasbah. Like the Taourirt Kasbah, the Tifoultoute had been lived in by a wealthy family until recently but had not been maintained. It also was used as a set in Game of Thrones. A late lunch in town let me bump into a French couple I had met on the Algeceris/Tanger Med. ferry.

I rode to the south end of R9 the next day, to a village called Mhamid near the mined Algerian border. I was excited at the idea of seeing the Sahara Desert open up before me once I got past the final foothills of the Anti-Atlas Mountains. Instead, I was greeted by a dirty brown and white curtain that blocked all vision on the right side of the plain. As I drew closer to the left edge of the curtain, the wind became stronger and stronger. Sand blew across the road like drifting snow. An oncoming vehicle threw up a rooster-tail of red/brown dust. I looked in my mirror and saw that my moto had sprouted a brown tail too. Fine raindrops joined sand particles, picking at my helmet visor.

Trying to Outrun a Sandstorm

Arriving after the Storm

By chance, the R9 skirted the edge of the sandstorm, turning away from it at just the right time. I arrived at Camping Hamada du Draa, just south of Mhamid, happy that my motorcycle’s air filter had escaped a good clogging. The air inside the campground walls was still heavy with fine dust. I spoke with a French snowbird couple who told of strong wind and sand so thick they couldn’t see the end of their camper. My nasal passages began to burn from the dust.

Dusty conditions persisted throughout the evening. Fine sand particles penetrated the mosquito netting of my tent, contaminating everything inside. The next morning there was a thick layer of red dust on my sleeping bag and on the exposed tent floor. My nose was quite sore. I walked throughout the village on the edge of the Sahara to research a camel trip into the desert for Isabelle and me in the future. I considered taking a short trek myself but gave up on the idea, preferring to share it with Isa and also because of my sore nose. I was happy to leave Mhamid for clearer air in the mountains the next day.

Boys at Play In Taliouine

Taliouine Street Scene

Near Taliouine


Future Mt. Rushmore?

I rode to Taliouine in the Anti-Atlas Mountains. The journey took all day. Auberge Askaoun sat on the eastern edge of town at 1200 meters elevation. The air was clear and crisp in the evening. My room cost $15 CDN and there was safe parking inside the hotel for my bike. Board cost $15 more. I stayed for three nights in the cool mountain air and my nose began to improve.

Sahara Desert on the ride North


Toward Taliouine


High Atlas

Washing the Sahara Out of Everything

On my last day in Taliouine I rode a remote loop through the mountains to the north. The desk man at the Auberge recommended the route. He promised in French, “All paved, no piste.” The winding and narrow single track road led to a Berber village named Askaoun, at 2200 meters elevation. The scenery had been unique and humbling. Switching off my engine allowed me to enjoy the views and the complete silence on the deserted road. My bike drew a flock of young boys when I stopped at a café in remote Askaoun. 


Toward Askaoun


Entering Askaoun

Toward Tafraoute













I rode to Tafraoute on some rough secondary roads. There were some oudes (rivers) to cross during the final 70 kilometers. There were no expensive bridges on that single track, remote road.  Normally, a vehicle crossed a river on a thick concrete slab. In wet times the road was either impassable or required slow wading. The riverbeds were of course dry at that time of year but in some places, the concrete fording had been washed out and left unrepaired. One of them almost sent me tumbling.

A Real Bridge but Still Some Washing Out 

I had forgotten to disable traction control on my bike before going onto the loose surface. My rear wheel slipped as expected when I climbed a steep rock-pile ramp. Within a few thousandths of a second, traction control software cut power to the rear wheel. The bike slowed instantly and I almost fell to the left, off the piled rocks.  Instinctively and unconsciously I applied more throttle and clutch. The rear wheel found traction again and the motorcycle bucked hard. The only thing that saved me was the same BMW software that had caused the problem in the first place. This time, the bike’s computer gave anti-wheelie corrections. My front wheel sat firmly down and I was allowed to use it to regain my balance.

Tafraoute seemed more modern than many of the towns in Morocco’s south. I found a lovely apartment to use as a base camp for a few days. Grocery shopping, writing and photo editing occupied the first complete day.  The wifi was reasonable and allowed me to publish this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 43 - Situation: Stuck in Spain, Dilemma: Deadline in Dublin

Situation: Stuck in Spain, Dilemma: Deadline in Dublin All sailings for the week to Ireland, where I planned to store my motorcycle, w...