Tuesday 16 May 2017

Part 2 Oops! and Risk Management, autumn 16

Part 2: Oops! and Risk Management.

Daily Spanish practice combined with long walks, nordic skiing or visits to the gym help to pass the time and distract us from the wait. These activities also fulfill some of the final of preparations, especially for me since I am regaining strength and general fitness after breaking my left ankle.
I had a little tip over on some muddy and rutted single track while practicing off-road riding skills on the 250cc. I knew instantly that something had broken. There was a sound through the thick motocross boot like the snap of a dry branch. My body reacted almost immediately and went into self-protection mode. There was a flood of ear ringing, nausea and anxiety as I observed and considered ways to remove my twisted leg from beneath the motorcycle.
It took several minutes to get back composure and for the dispassionate self, the observer of this foolishness, to regain control. I needed to function.  I was at least a kilometer into the bush on a Tuesday morning and completely alone. Using the panic button on the GPS locator would have meant a waste of resources and an expensive ride out of the bush. I had to do this alone.
Righting and reversing the bike on the trail, while hopping on one leg of course, took some time. I put it into first gear by hand and rode gingerly back through the muck and the ruts. At the parking lot, there would be no walking the bike up the ramp, there was no choice but to ride it onto the trailer.  The hour-long drive home was well tolerated as long as I kept the left foot suspended off the floor.  I could feel the ankle swelling but kept the boot on.  The high, stiff boot was acting perfectly as a splint.

After a quick bath at home Isabelle took me to the hospital.  They told me I had broken it (really?) and sent me home with an air cast. We have since re-thought the whole risk vs. reward thing. An injury to either of us now or at any time on the trip would be disaster! This experience will help us shape our approach to risk management. Good comes from bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 43 - Situation: Stuck in Spain, Dilemma: Deadline in Dublin

Situation: Stuck in Spain, Dilemma: Deadline in Dublin All sailings for the week to Ireland, where I planned to store my motorcycle, w...